Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
I enjoy reading the colorful and dramatic weather buzzwords created, or hyper focused upon, by the media every few years. For example
- polar vortex!!
- bomb cyclone!!!
A few years ago, I thought to myself, how could I use language and randomness to create my own weather buzzwords?
I'll pause here to note that I spell out all of this article in the book Weather Buzzwords: What will they come up with next?
Oh, back to the article!
I had, and have, two main goals. First, the weather buzzwords need to be more funny than serious. Second, I would use any popularity my project may generate to help others focus on situations where people have had their lives turned upside down by weather-related events. For example, a family may need money because their home was destroyed by a hurricane.
Therefore, I created http://www.weatherbuzzwords.com. As of this writing, there are about ~3.5 billion, yes billion, possible weather buzzwords that can be created in this manner, and that number regularly increases. I also created a companion weatherbuzzwords Twitter account, that produces these weather buzzwords in a variety of formats, as well as displays links to charity sites, weather facts, weather related jokes, and affiliate links, to help get the word out, that I can generally let run on autopilot. I consider this project a sort of odd work of poetry.
Here are a few examples of weather buzzwords created from my program
- Hazy Ninjas
- Aqueous Subpolar Wave Energy
- End Times Anthropogenic Dart
- Meteorological Twirlblast
- Low Pressure Octagon Sastruga
- Mountain Spraying
- Holy Updraft
- Stratiformis Southeast Infection
- Obese Corridor Momeraths
- End Times Laminar WTF
- Pushing Ebb Tide Flavor Injection
- Delayed Burnt Corn Humdinger
- Convergence Zone Simpsons Prediction
- Enchanted Forest Debris Signature
- Gallifrey Sunchucks
- Hazardous Cave Raining Men
- Sissiboo River Nincompoop
- Quadrangle Fiddlesticks
- Fake Geyser Lube
- Delicate Solstice Breath
- Slippery Sporks
- Drifting Smell Ya Later
- Extratropical Hootenanny
- Solar System Poutine
- Frolicking Isotropic Radiator Lickspittle
As you can see, it is very unlikely to get any repeats.
How does this happen? First, I made a big list of adjectives, places, and events. I continually update these lists as I think of or find an adjective, place, or event that might be interesting to add. It is important to add as much weather related vocabulary in these lists as possible. However, there are also a large amount of completely silly ones and a few "Easter egg" surprises contained in them (such as a "Hi mom!" and a "Help, I'm trapped in a comedy factory!"). Then, I considered a few ways these adjectives, places, and events could be combined to replicate weather buzzwords
- [ADJECTIVE] [PLACE] [EVENT]
- [PLACE] [EVENT]
- [ADJECTIVE] [EVENT]
I then draw a random number between 0 and 1. If the random number falls in 0 to .33, I select an [ADJECTIVE] [PLACE] [EVENT]. If the random number is between .33 and .66, I select a [PLACE] [EVENT]. Last, if the random number is between .66 and 1, I select an [ADJECTIVE] [EVENT].
To calculate the total possible combinations, let A stand for the number of adjectives, P stand for the number of places, and E stand for the number of events. Then the total possible combinations are: APE + PE + AE = E(AP + P + A)
Thanks for reading. Can you create your own weather buzzwords?
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
For poetry, I recommend:
- High Quality Every Day Carry (EDC) Bolt Action Pens & Pencils by Bastion. Use discount code JS20 to get 20% off!
- Shop at The Poet Life store
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!