Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
Experimental Poetry 2
two realizations of "signal in the noise"
First, I chose a theme to write about: signal in the noise. Next, I made a grid and made the noise randomly appear in it. You can make the noise anything, but I chose the letters "n", "o", "i", "s", and "e", as well as a "." and a blank.
I made the word "SIGNAL" appear in the grid, by making the letters "S", "I", "G", "N", "A", and "L" appear in the grid. It was important to make these letters display randomly but also in order, so the word "SIGNAL" is there, and not "SGNLAI", or a variety of other combinations. To do this, I reasoned that I have 22 rows in the grid and "SIGNAL" has 6 letters, so I'd need to place a letter from "SIGNAL" every 3 or 4 (=22/6) rows. Then, within each of these areas, I randomize the row and column in which a letter from "SIGNAL" will appear.
The last step was modifying the alignment of the cells in the grid. At first I was doing this by manually selecting cells and choosing various alignments. We can do better than that! In the spreadsheet there a Visual Basic macro I wrote that does this. It looks at each cell in the grid and aligns the text randomly left, center, or right.
To create a poem like this, please see this spreadsheet. Please credit Statisticool.com if you use this idea.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
For poetry, I recommend:
- High Quality Every Day Carry (EDC) Bolt Action Pens & Pencils by Bastion. Use discount code JS20 to get 20% off!
- Shop at The Poet Life store
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!