Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
Experimental Poetry 22
This experimental poetry idea is using typos to change a poem. For example, changing some, or each, word by inserting a letter (insertion), changing a letter (substitution), and removing a letter (deletion). I will demonstrate this general idea using my Freeverse 315:
winds are politics people are leaves poems are rakes
See my "Typos" article here for the methodology and a spreadsheet. Let's look at a few examples.
If I set the probabilities of insertion, substitution, and deletion to 33% each, leave about a 1% probability for a word to remain unchanged, I get poems like:
winvds arec poletics pfeople re leves poejms re rakes
vinds arie poliqics peopole ahe leavee poemn aare rakeq
wizds aye politrics peopfe art lveaves oems arie rakesr
If I set the probabilities of insertion to 0%, substitution 0%, and deletion to 100%, I get poems like:
inds re plitics eople ae eaves poms ae rake
wids ar poliics eople re leave pems re raks
inds re plitics peope ae leves oems ar rkes
If I set the probabilities of insertion to 0%, substitution 100%, and deletion to 0%, I get poems like:
wiyds ore politicr pewple arj leaves peems nre rakel
wiyds arc poqitics peqple arl leives poemp arr rakzs
pinds ore golitics peoale arn leavef poemx are rakks
And last, if I set the probabilities of insertion, substitution, deletion, and staying the same randomly, I get poems like:
windsn re politicsq peopl ae leave poeums nre hakes
winds arze politics peoplge arke leaveks poemse are rakess
winps ard politics peopxe ahe leavebs poess ary rakzes
As you can see, the poem can change a lot, or not, depending on the type of "typo" and its probability. One can create new and interesting words and combinations from this "typo" procedure.
If you use this idea, please credit Statisticool.com.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
For poetry, I recommend:
- High Quality Every Day Carry (EDC) Bolt Action Pens & Pencils by Bastion. Use discount code JS20 to get 20% off!
- Shop at The Poet Life store
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!