Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
Math Problem Generator
Here is a simple subtraction (and addition and multiplication) math problem generator for kids I created in Excel. I had it set up to create random subtraction problems using the numbers 0 through 10. If the top number is smaller than the bottom number in a subtraction problem, the result of course will be a negative number. However, smaller kids have not encountered that concept yet. Therefore I have logic in the spreadsheet to check if the top number is smaller than the bottom number, and if so, then flip the top and bottom. I also added today's date just for bookkeeping.
In the spreadsheet, if you print, the print area should be selected, and it will print out like the picture below. Re-entering the spreadsheet, or pressing F9, will refresh the random numbers to create new problems.
As your child gets confident at problems using the numbers 0 through 10, just add larger numbers (11, 12, etc.) to the list. Or if small numbers (say 0, for example) are too easy, then remove them from the list.
Also, you can use this spreadsheet to create addition or multiplication problems, or a mix of them, by having "+" or "*" instead of, or in addition to, "-", in column B. The logic to randomly sample the operations is the same as the logic to randomly sample the numbers.
Some improvements that could be made to the spreadsheet are: one could edit and customize the logic to make it so 10 and 10 won't both be selected for a problem, and also make it so there are no duplicate problems on a page, or in a row.
Please feel free to edit the spreadsheet as needed. If you find this spreadsheet useful, please credit Statisticool.com.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!